Home » , » ‘Violin is a tough instrument’

‘Violin is a tough instrument’

Written By Unknown on August 8, 2013 | 8/08/2013

Jyotsna Srikanth is a sought-after Carnatic violinist and composer known for her versatility and ability to seamlessly move from one genre to another. Intensely rooted in south Indian classical music and having been coached in Western classical music, she explores the lush ground of crossover music with contemporary flavours. In an interview with The Times of India, she talks about her life and music

Tell me about yourself.

I started learning music when I was five from my mother Ratna. She took me to a concert of the maestro Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan. I was so impressed by the instrument that when I came back home I started imitating a violin using a broomstick. My mother thought that it was the right age for me to start learning the instrument. I gave my first performance at the age of nine. Initially I learnt pure Carnatic music since I come from a traditional South Indian background. When I was 14-15 years, I got into Western classical playing at Bangalore School of Music. I was a part of their orchestra. I passed my exams through Royal College of Music London and then started playing for films. That was a big shift. I have played for more than 200 movies for directors like Ilayaraja. One more big adventure I indulged in those days was studying medicine. I am an MD in lab pathology.

Does being a doctor help or hinder your music?

I moved from Bangalore to London in 2004 because my husband started working there. Before that I was working as a consultant pathologist. In 2007, I thought I should take a decision: music or medicine. I had to give time to my family also. That was the time I quit medicine. It was a risky decision. But I am quite busy and happy in the UK.

What are your upcoming projects?

I am on tour with my project called Carnatic Nomad. I've done lots of jazz fusion and collaborations. I have collaborated with the Spanish flamenco guitarist Eduardo Niebla. On August 17, I am going to perform in Lisbon with a very popular singer Vittorio. He has sung for many Portuguese movies and is a big star there. I'll be in London Philharmonic Orchestra next year. I am also going to work with lots of symphonies too.

Anything you would like to say to our young violinists?

Violin is a tough instrument. In India, it is often branded as an accompanying instrument. To come out of that, you should carve out an identity for yourself as a soloist. You also need to be versatile. Don't give up is the mantra.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/lxdcae2
Share this article :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Johny Template | Mas Template Copyright © 2013. Mr.Golmaal - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger